L.A. Clippers 2020/21. I am the Mann
Moderadores: tiko5, hastrakan, der König81

Cassell

Re: Los Ángeles Clippers 2010/11

por Cassell » 01 Jul 2010, 11:20

Lebron nos recibirá en su casa de Akron:

The Los Angeles Clippers have officially been granted an audience with the King.

The team announced it will be one of the small group of teams LeBron James will take meetings with at an undisclosed location in Northeastern Ohio with a chance to pitch the merits of joining their organization.

A team source said the meeting will not take place Thursday but will happen sometime within the next two days.

"We are perfectly positioned to engage this summer's free-agent marketplace and we have every intention of playing an active role," Clippers general manager Neil Olshey said in a statement. "A little after midnight eastern time on July 1, we contacted the representatives of several free-agent players in whom we have interest.

"We are honored to be one of the select organizations to have been invited to meet with LeBron James and his team. At that time, we intend to present the many reasons why his joining our organization is the best possible choice he could make.

"Key among those reasons is our extraordinary nucleus of players. We have a core group in place which is made up of talented players at every position, a component which would prove attractive to any free agent."

Con esto, queda claro que Olshey primero agotará las opciones para fichar a Lebron, y si al final no puede ser, se activarán los distintos planes B. Según comenta en su twitter Lisa Dillman, Olshey y Roeser serán quienes vayan a Akron. También he visto que Olshey paraliza las negociaciones con los distintos candidatos al banquillo (Casey, Del Negro) para dar prioridad absoluta a consecución de la posible llegada a L.A. de Lebron.

A todo esto, parece que en la acera de enfrente desean ver a Lebron como clipper:

I'm a Lakers fan, but I would love to see Lebron go to the Clippers. The Lakers and Clippers would become a fierce rivalry and I think the Clippers would a dangerous team in the playoffs. They had a great draft and have much better talent to surround Lebron than Cleveland did this year.

Por cierto, Lebron (y demás FA estelares) han recibido una carta de Baron Davis (está en Ruanda en un viaje benéfico):

I'm writing this from Africa, a far cry from the 24-7 media updates on what's known as the biggest and best free agency class in the history of the NBA. I can't help but think about two summers ago, when I was making the decision to stay or leave from the Warriors. I came to LA to make an impact on the city, to help change the shape of another organization. I took the road less traveled. I left a team that was one win shy of the playoffs. I left a city that I had made a home. I left fans that were amazing. All to cause change, to start over again. I came to Los Angeles, hoping to rebuild and reignite a franchise.

It takes a lot of luck, talent, money, and strong leadership to have continued success in the NBA. I can say without a doubt that we're on the right track. The franchise is moving into a younger more vibrant direction. The negative mindset is gone. I definitely don't think I need to pitch anyone on the benefits that Los Angeles has to offer. Everybody knows its one of the best places in the world. And when it comes down to it, it shouldn't be about the city anyway, [it's] about what you want to accomplish. If you truly are passionate about the game of basketball and want to accept the challenge, come join us. We have a young nucleus that has the tools to compete every night, and I can't name another franchise whose fans have kept faith and supported their team like Clipper Nation has supported us.

I have spent the past two weeks traveling in Africa and have been humbled to the utmost. I have learned a lot about myself, and what it truly means to be a part of a community working towards a common goal. My hope is that I can take what I have learned here, and apply it to my life both personally and professionally. We must never take for granted the life we have and the opportunity to work with each other to make history. On a much smaller scale, being an NBA player and the decision many of you free agents make can greatly change the path of a community and a franchise.

As people, it is in our DNA to want to be individuals amongst a group, to be different than the person next to us. So what we offer is the chance to create a new starting point. Success here, in one of the [world's] largest media markets, will mean you have everything at your fingertips. It's no secret that this franchise has faced many obstacles, but the past doesn't have to determine the future. No matter what decision you make, someone won't like it. You have an opportunity to write a new story in the city of Los Angeles. Our organization and community [are] ready and willing to embrace more talent. Great opportunities exist amongst many teams, but here you aren't just continuing a legacy, you have the opportunity to create your own.

Good Luck!

Baron Davis

D.J. Foster en ESPN habla de Olshey:

Sometime in the next few days, Los Angeles Clippers general manager Neil Olshey will make a convincing pitch to LeBron James.

He'll tell LeBron to look at all the Clippers' young, talented players. He'll tell LeBron that Blake Griffin projects to be better than anyone he's ever played with. He'll tell LeBron that he can become a global icon under the bright lights of Los Angeles.

The Clippers may not make a big splash come July 1, but that was never really the expected outcome in the first place. While everyone else had their heads in the clouds conjuring up images of different superstars in Clippers uniforms, Olshey stayed grounded and very quietly rebuilt the team behind the guise of the looming free-agency period.

In a sense, LeBron James has served as the world's greatest decoy.

Typically, things tend to get ugly when you trade your best player for cash. Marcus Camby is no Wayne Gretzky, but he was the best player for the Clippers last season and was moved for pocket change. Al Thornton and Sebastian Telfair, decent but not spectacular role players, were moved for even less. In normal circumstances, there would be absolute outrage; instead, every cap-cutting move was applauded because the Clippers were punching their ticket to the great free-agency bonanza of 2010. Never mind that landing LeBron -- or most of the other big stars -- was always unrealistic. That hardly seemed to matter, because the floundering franchise had finally located some direction.

With the draft completed, it's become clearer that the Clippers are no longer entrenched in win-now mode and truly are rebuilding. After drafting a raw 19-year-old talent in Al-Farouq Aminu and trading for one-and-done Kentucky guard Eric Bledsoe, the Clippers have indicated through their actions that they're willing to be patient for their core to develop. The youth infusion has been quiet but definitely real  six of the eight players on the Clippers' roster are 21 years old or younger. After garnering poor results from their last big foray into free agency with Baron Davis, the team has seemingly shifted priorities to the development of the 21-and-under club.

The Clippers likely will retain that same youth-based focus throughout the summer. Their pitches to the big free agents will be out of pure obligation more than anything else. Instead of going big, they'll likely maintain a frugal approach to spending by bringing in players who are sure not to endanger the development of their young core.

But what of that precious cap room the Clippers worked so hard to acquire? In today's NBA, unused cap room is no longer a waste, but instead a valuable asset. The aforementioned Marcus Camby and Rasual Butler were both cap casualties that the Clippers acquired for little more than second-round draft pick swaps. Washington recently picked up Kirk Hinrich and a first-round pick from Chicago and gave up nothing in return. The possibilities with cap room in a cash-starved league are seemingly endless.

The Clippers' adopted formula appears to be based on patience and the slow acquisition of assets, and as the Oklahoma City Thunder and GM Sam Presti have proven, it's been shown to work for teams that may not be able to attract the biggest free agents due to small-market or ownership concerns.

There are still plenty of holes to be filled this offseason, but the days of the Clippers' grabbing whatever they could get their hands on seem to be long gone. Maybe it's not quite fit for a king, but the 21-and-under club should prove to be exclusive nonetheless.
Imagen

D Jiménez

Re: Los Ángeles Clippers 2010/11. El rey nos concede audienc

por D Jiménez » 01 Jul 2010, 11:46

El roster es del año pasao tío. Podrías poner el de esta temporada que entra, por lo menos los asegurados Davis, Bledsoe, Gordon, Warren, Aminu, Griffin, Kaman y Jordan. No sé si me dejo alguno.
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 01 Jul 2010, 14:00

Varios analistas de la ESPN (aunque me da grima meter en ese saco a Chad Ford) responden a varias preguntas acerca del equipo:

With the start of the NBA free-agency period on Thursday, we asked ESPN.com's NBA experts to put the Clippers' position into perspective. Their answers to five key questions follow here:

1. Can the Clippers land a big-fish free agent this summer, and if so, whom?

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop: It's a better pitch than it was in years past -- the lineup is good, and the coaching staff will be new. But Don Sterling is still seen as a major drag on how players see the team. I don't think LeBron James is taking them seriously, but players like Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay might.

J.A. Adande, ESPN.com: They have the means -- money, talented roster, big market -- but they don't have the momentum. If one big-name player was inclined to go there, maybe others would as well. But it seems as if no one wants to be the first to board Donald Sterling's ship.

Kevin Arnovitz, TrueHoop: The Clippers are obliged to make a strong pitch to LeBron James but will come up short. With their trove of young talent, the Clips are unlikely to overpay for one of the other available wings, be it Joe Johnson or Rudy Gay.

Larry Coon, special to ESPN.com: Yes. With max cap room, a solid nucleus and the L.A. lifestyle, the Clippers will dangle a compelling offer that one of the free agents is bound to take. They'll probably strike out on LeBron and Wade, but Joe Johnson is a maybe. With Al-Farouq Aminu in the fold, they might seek a cheaper option and go after Rudy Gay.

Chad Ford, ESPN.com: Yes. They have the money and a hole at the 3. I think Rudy Gay may be the best option, but Paul Pierce is the dark horse. He'd like to go home if he isn't staying in Boston.

John Hollinger, ESPN.com: No, because nobody wants to attach his legacy to Donald Sterling. All the Clippers can do is overpay midsized fish.

Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com: Paul Pierce is from Inglewood, and he wants the financial security of one last windfall contract. He's a natural fit, and Donald Sterling probably is willing to pay him more than Wyc Grousbeck is.

2. If they don't land a big-fish free agent, what should they do (whom should they target)?

Abbott: They know Baron Davis better than I do. If they think he can lead the team to greatness, they should keep him. If not, I think his contract has to go, and point guard and small forward are the areas of need.

Adande: There are plenty of secondary players, including Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay, who might be persuaded to come. Nothing wrong with signing a guy who can get you 20 points.

Arnovitz: The Clippers have five intriguing assets who are age 21 or younger: Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, Al-Farouq Aminu, Eric Bledsoe and DeAndre Jordan. Rather than blow its cash on a temporary fix, the organization is more likely to preserve its financial flexibility for brighter days.

Coon: The Clippers' biggest hole is at the 3. Options in a trade may include Andre Iguodala and Luol Deng, but after drafting Al-Farouq Aminu, they won't break the bank. It would be more prudent to save some money to bring back some of their bench players.

Ford: Don't panic. Hoard the cap space. Other teams, such as the Thunder, have used it to facilitate all sorts of deals at midseason.

Hollinger: They need a small forward, so Rudy Gay makes the best target, but an even better plan might be to pay less for somebody like John Salmons.

3. How strong a deterrent is Donald Sterling to players in the marketplace?

Abbott: Strong. Any time coaches with guaranteed contracts have to sue to get their guaranteed money, you know you're dealing with a guy who is willing and able to make life tough. Not to mention the race-related legal issues that have dogged his real estate empire.

Adande: He's the common thread to all the losing since he took over the franchise. And his record settlement in a housing discrimination lawsuit doesn't help his image in a league that is made up of a majority of African-American players.

Arnovitz: Players care first and foremost about money, but Sterling certainly isn't a selling point.

Coon: I think it's in the back of players' minds, but ultimately the money, the team, the coach and the city are bigger factors.

Ford: Strong for the top-tier free agents. But for the B-level free agents? They'd be happy to take his money.

Hollinger: Huge for max free agents, because the salary is the same everywhere, so Sterling becomes the tiebreaker. For submax players, it's all about the Benjamins, so Sterling becomes less important.

Sheridan: Players don't see him as a deterrent as much as coaches do, because members of the coaching fraternity have all heard the horror stories of their colleagues having to fight for the money they were owed when they were fired.

4. Who do you expect will coach the Clippers, and is that person a good choice?

Abbott: Dwane Casey, and yes -- everyone raves about that guy.

Adande: Dallas assistant Dwane Casey. He's fine but not inspired.

Arnovitz: If the Clippers select Dwane Casey, they'll have chosen a smart, measured professional who understands how to prepare a game plan, cultivate a winning culture and hold himself and his players accountable.

Coon: Dwane Casey. The biggest challenge will be to work with Baron Davis, and Casey seems more likely to take advantage of Davis' skills.

Ford: Dwane Casey. Sure. Casey is a good coach and has the right temperament for this group of players.

Hollinger: Vinny Del Negro, and although he held it together fairly well under trying circumstances in Chicago, I'll still question the decision. Dwane Casey would be a better choice.

Sheridan: Dwane Casey, and he will be an outstanding choice. He relates well with the players and had a mediocre Minnesota team at .500 when the rug was pulled out from under him. The Wolves haven't sniffed .500 since.

5. By the end of the free-agent summer, how good do you think the Clippers will be?

Abbott: Nothing that happens will matter as much as having a healthy Blake Griffin. Just that piece takes a forgettable team and puts it squarely in the playoff race.

Adande: If Blake Griffin is healthy and the Clippers can bring in another player, they should be able to contend for the playoffs next season … which is where they were supposed to be last year. Better late than never.

Arnovitz: The Clippers will improve on their 29 victories from last season and will finish strong -- winning the majority of their final 30 games.

Coon: They will be tremendously improved. They will have Blake Griffin finally healthy; they can add a big piece in the free-agent or trade market; they can return much of the bench that was put together at the trade deadline; and they can add a coach who will work with Baron Davis.

Ford: 44 wins.

Hollinger: Good enough to miss the playoffs by a game.

Sheridan: Much depends on the health of Blake Griffin, Chris Kaman and Baron Davis, but they should be more than good enough to compete for the No. 8 seed in what will be a fiercely competitive Western Conference.
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 01 Jul 2010, 18:44

Twitter de Wojnarowski:

G-State restricted free agent Anthony Morrow has slew of interest, including Spurs, Celtics, Lakers, Blazers, Clips and Jazz, sources say.
Imagen

Bias
Ubicación: "Si supiera que el mundo se acaba mañana, yo, hoy todavía, plantaría un árbol" M.L.K

por Bias » 01 Jul 2010, 19:35

Ric Bucher (ESPN) dice que preguntásteis para haceros con Iguodala sin dar nada a cambio, y que Philadelphia obviamente os mandó a freír espárragos. Y que ahora íbais a por Gay.
"Allen Iverson is a genius. Yes, he didn’t get his ring, but he was able to outplay the entire opponent’s team.I think he is the most skilled NBA player of all time" Alexey Shved

"If you love basketball, you love Temple" Tom Crean

Cassell

por Cassell » 01 Jul 2010, 22:36

Entrevista a Griffin:

Blake Griffin joined the Sports Animal in Oklahoma City to talk about how much more confident he is this year with his knee than he was last year, whether he is going to play in the Summer League, and what he picked up the most from the NBA having to sit out his rookie season.

How much more confident he is this year with his knee than he was last year:

“So much more just because all the rehab that I put in, all the time and all the exercise. Everything they have asked me to do, every hurdle they have asked me to cross since I started rehabbing I have been able to do it and that gives you a lot of confidence when you are finally hearing the last words that my doctor is saying ‘You are ready to go out there and get back at it.’ That is the ultimate thing that you want to hear.”

Whether he is going to play in the Summer League:

“I am not going to play. I am going to practice with the team. I am going to go out there and workout and be around the team and the new coaching staff. We have them in place. No, I am not going to play.”

What he picked up the most from the NBA having to sit out his rookie season:

“Just the way guys get to their spots. A lot of guys have their favorite spots on the floor. They catch the ball and have their go-to moves. I think the best guys in this league are the guys that have a move that has been perfected. There is not a whole lot of guys that have all of these different moves besides Kobe Bryant. There are guys that are good at one, two, or three moves. The more you have obviously the better. I think it is all about finding out what you do best and then being able to do the other things at a high level.”

When he thinks they will have a coach for the team:

“You know what I hear that we are actually extremely close. Definitely by this weekend.”

Who he thinks the Clippers are going to hire as coach:

“It is hard to say. We should have somebody like I said by Sunday or Saturday, something like that. I am just looking forward to having a coaching staff and somebody in place that you get to know and start building chemistry.”

His thoughts on where he thinks LeBron is going to end up:

“I was just talking about that earlier. You know what, I have heard so much about Chicago but I don’t know if I can believe it. I want to say Chicago just because that would be the best place for him to go out of the teams that have the money to get him and have the facilities and all of that. He would have the best group around him. If he goes to New York, yeah he is the King of New York and all of that but he doesn’t have a great team around him especially right now. They can bring in guys but they can not get a whole lot better than Derrick Rose at the point.”

Lisa Dillman, en su twitter, afirma que Rhino tiene ofertas de Bucks, Cavs y Bulls.

Según ESPN, Steve Blake igual cambia de acera, aunque también tiene una oferta de Orlando.

Y por cierto, mañana es el día: Lebron recibirá en su casa a Olshey y Roeser. Quien sabe, igual esa reunión supone un cambio de rumbo histórico en la franquicia. Pocas esperanzas tengo, pero a saber.
Imagen

Sal

por Sal » 02 Jul 2010, 02:58

David Lee... ¿Suena para Clippers?
Imagen
viniuales escribió: Si somos el club mas grande del Mundo es por algo, claro que gran parte de los anti-madridistas no quieren reconocerlo y eso es lo que les hace envidiarnos cada vez mas.

Cassell

por Cassell » 02 Jul 2010, 10:13

Sal escribió:David Lee... ¿Suena para Clippers?

Griffin, Kaman, Big Sofo, Deandre... ¿Dónde lo metes?.

Nuevo artículo en ESPN acerca de la entrevista que mantendrán hoy Roeser y Olshey con Lebron:

I'm not going to pretend to know LeBron James or understand the inner workings of a 25-year-old athlete holding meetings with NBA teams to decide what zip code will be on his multi-million dollar paychecks for the next five to six years. Maybe I'll be better prepared in another life when I can walk into such meetings with the confidence and clout to wear a T-shirt, sweat pants and sunglasses as James did Thursday.

What I do know is if the Los Angeles Clippers have any shot at signing James, and they will be making their official presentation to him in Cleveland on Friday, they need to essentially hand him the keys to the franchise. Clippers president Andy Roeser needs to literally hand James, and his representatives, keys with Clippers logos on them as if they were keys to a Ferrari that simply needs new rims. He should give them each paint brushes, put a blank canvas before them and tell them to forget about the past and that the Clippers can be whatever they want it to be.

If the Clippers have any chance of pulling off one of the greatest upsets in sports history, they must play to James' inner need to be a mogul and tell him he can have the reigns of an NBA team. Forget about being a key piece or the final piece or the missing piece, tell him he's the centerpiece and allow him to pick every other piece around him.

While the Nets had folders during their meeting with James' face integrated into their logo, the Clippers should hand James some construction paper and a box of markers and ask him to draw his own logo for the Clippers. Shoot, tell him he can re-name the team if he wants. What do the Clippers have to lose? It's not as if they have any banners hanging up at Staples Center that would look outdated if they changed their name and logo tomorrow.

Many fans have long wanted the Clippers to undergo a much needed facelift and rebranding and essentially handing over such responsibilities to James and his team of advisors could give the Clippers an edge on other teams thought of as favorites to sign James. None of the other teams meeting with James would ever think of asking a player to rebrand the franchise in their image, but the Clippers could and should do exactly that.

Other teams can sell James on becoming a part of a winning team, but the Clippers can sell James on not only winning (it can be argued the Clippers' roster is currently better than any other team in the running for James) but making an everlasting mark on a franchise that will live on long after he retires. As bad as James wants to win championships, he wants to build his brand and his portfolio just as badly. The same goes for his team of friends, Randy Mims, Maverick Carter and Richard Paul, who make up the initials behind LRMR Marketing, the management firm he founded almost four years ago with his buddies.

When the Clippers' brass walks into Suite 823 of the IMG Building in downtown Cleveland, home to LRMR Marketing, where James' meetings are being held, they must sell the RMR portion of the firm as hard as they do the L portion. If James can be considered the Vincent Chase of this Entourage-like foursome, the Clippers must essentially offer E an executive producer role, Drama a major on-screen part and Turtle a talent coordinator position to make this work. They need to sell James' friends as hard on coming to Los Angeles as James himself because when the Clippers leave, his friends will be the ones continuing the recruiting for them long after they've left.

James wants to be holding a Larry O'Brien trophy over his head at some point in his career, but there's a big part of him who is just as content sitting at the head of a table in a board room or rubbing shoulders with executives. During the NBA All-Star weekend the past four years, James and Jay-Z have thrown what they call "Two Kings" dinners where they gather some of the biggest names in the NBA and corporate America to break bread and talk about how they're going to take over the world (or something to that effect).

I've never seen James as comfortable as when he was talking to Ken Chenault, the CEO and Chairman of American Express, and Jay-Z during the dinner last year.

"We don't want to do endorsement deals anymore," James said. "When I talk to Jay, we always talk about creating relationships and friendships, not endorsement deals where you pay me money and I hold up a product. We don't do that. We all got money in here."

"An endorsement deal is if, Jay, I pay you to show up when I tell you to show up," said James, using Jay-Z, standing next to him, as an example. "OK, so Jay, I'm going to give you this glass and hold it up and smile for me. We don't do that. We do partnerships where I give Jay ideas and he gives me ideas and we sit down and talk about it. It's unbelievable what you can do by just having a conversation."

It may have just been an innocent example over dinner, but it offered some insight into what's important to James. He isn't just looking for a team that can help him win a championship, he's looking for a place where he can forge new partnerships and build his brand, and the Clippers offer him the best location and situation to be a partner and not just a player.

How many other teams are willing to hand over the keys of a franchise to a 25-year-old and his friends and tell them to have fun?

If the Clippers are willing to do that (and really, what do they have to lose?) they may have a better chance of signing James than anyone thinks.
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 02 Jul 2010, 15:56

Sofoklis Schortsanitis is already in Los Angeles to negociate his possible signing for the Clippers. According to the Greek media, the NBA franchise is willing to offer the 25-year-old center a two-year, $5 million contract to play for the Clippers. In that case, Schortsanitis would agree to leave Olympiakos and continue his career in the NBA.
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 02 Jul 2010, 20:34

En el twitter de Pincus:

Larry King told me this week that LeBron James is legitimately interested in the Clippers roster.

Una gran verdad. De haber jugado Griffin algunos partidos la pasada temporada, las posibilidades de traer a Lebron hubieran aumentado bastante:

The LeBron chase is still going, but the odds might have been better had the Clippers Blake Griffin played last year. At this point in time, he is still a relatively unknown commodity. Imagine last year if he posted up solid ROY numbers, showed potential and proved himself.

The record would have been better and made the Clippers more attractive.

I guess you could say inversely that they would not have attained AFA a solid SF....but regardless I think a good BG showing would have helped immensely in this FA pursuit.
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 03 Jul 2010, 00:52

Casey tiene un pie en el banquillo:

Sources say Dwane Casey has the lead over Vinny Del Negro in the Clippers' coaching search. Casey is said to be the choice on the basketball ops side while Del Negro has owner Donald Sterling's eye, particularly because Del Negro is still owed $2 million from the Bulls after they fired him this year, and perhaps some of that could be used to offset Del Negro's new salary with the Clippers. (Kind of ironic, since Sterling is trying to avoid paying his former coach, Mike Dunleavy.)

Meanwhile, the Clippers are given no chance of landing LeBron James, although he at least granted them an audience to make their pitch. (The fact that the Clippers celebrated the event by releasing a statement saying, "We are honored to be one of the select organizations to have been invited to meet with LeBron James and his team" ought to be grounds in itself for LeBron to cross them off his list.)

With second-tier guys such as Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay removed from consideration because of maximum offers by their own teams, it becomes increasingly difficult to imagine the Clippers landing a significant free agent this summer.

At least they can welcome back Blake Griffin to their returning core. They can spend 2010-11 rolling out a version of what last season's team should have looked like.

Interés en repatriar a Childress:

First time I've seen a member of the media actually linking Childress to the Clippers. One can only hope the 7-8 million salary below is possible but given the prices paid yesterday that seems overly optimistic.

Childress’ stock climbing

It won’t be long until Josh Childress has turned into one of the hottest free agents on the market.

After leaving the Atlanta Hawks to play two seasons in Greece, Childress is a restricted free agent who no longer has to worry about his team matching an offer sheet. The Hawks are close to investing $119 million over six seasons with Johnson, and the value of small forwards on the market is rising with re-signings like Rudy Gay in Memphis.

As Atlanta closes its check book and elite small forwards don’t change in free agency, there’s a perfect storm starting to develop for Childress. A versatile 6-foot-8 forward, Childress could find himself courted by the Knicks, Nets and Clippers and multiple more teams. He could command as much as $7 million-$8 million annually in a contract.

Detalles de la reunión con Lebron:

The Miami Heat used every precious second of their promised time with LeBron James -- and then some.

Team president Pat Riley, coach Erik Spoelstra, billionaire owner Micky Arison and former center Alonzo Mourning spent nearly three hours making their presentation to try to lure James, the NBA's most coveted free agent, to sunny South Florida.

The Heat's delegation arrived at 10:20 a.m. James showed up two minutes before the scheduled 11 a.m. meeting wearing a T-shirt, shorts and a backpack.

At 1:50 p.m., the Heat's delegation paraded through the lobby of the IMG building without saying a word. Before getting in their cars, they passed the Los Angeles Clippers' two-man contingent of acting general manager Neil Olshey and executive Andy Roeser.

Olshey then joked that Riley went into overtime with James.

"Is coach going to get fined for going over his allotted time?" Olshey asked a person who works for James. "Don't worry, we'll be short."

The Clippers wrapped up their meeting with James in about an hour. Olshey coached James at a summer camp before his senior year of high school. He knew back then James was a special player, one he would like to see relocate his game to the West Coast.

"I predicted he would be Rookie of the Year, an All-Star in his second year and the best player on the planet in his third year," he said. "So far, I've been right. I think we've got the best roster and the best chance and the best city."

In a prepared statement, the Clippers said they approached the meeting in "a very honest and direct way, and we felt that their reaction was considerate and receptive."

"We're not going to go into any details about the meeting's specifics," Olshey said in the statement. "But it was our goal to present tangible and very obvious reasons as to why we think LeBron choosing our organization is his best option: we clearly have the best team already in place for him to join, we have the best city, the best arena, the best practice facility -- overall the best situation."

"By communicating all of that in a sincere way, we accomplished our preliminary goal," Olshey said in the news release. "Now what we can do is wait and see how it all resonates, plus continue to be comprehensive in our efforts to improve our team for the upcoming season.

"No matter what, we're getting at least one great new player this summer: his name is Blake Griffin."

After the meetings concluded, James was asked how things were going as he headed out the door.

"Good," he said.

James invited the Clippers to meet with him, but it's hard to imagine them making a compelling argument for him to sign.

The club does have a nice core group of young players, including center Chris Kaman, Griffin (a No. 1 draft pick in 2009) and guards Baron Davis and Eric Gordon. The Clippers also can entice James with Hollywood and the potential to add to his riches in the entertainment industry.

While other teams tried to impress James with theatrical displays, the Clippers kept things simple.

"We had a DVD and it showed all the places that he's already eaten, all the beaches he's already gone to and all the clubs he already knows about and all the business opportunities he'll be able to engage in," Olshey said. "But what's important is Baron Davis and Eric Gordon, Blake Griffin and Chris Kaman as his starting five. That's what's important to him. He's well educated on that. He knows our team."

Roeser said the Clippers are close to hiring a coach, saying one likely would be in place by "early next week."

I'm not going to pretend to know LeBron James or understand the inner workings of a 25-year-old athlete holding meetings with NBA teams to decide what zip code will be on his multimillion-dollar paychecks for the next five to six years. Maybe I'll be better prepared in another life when I can walk into such meetings with the confidence and clout to wear a T-shirt, sweat pants and sunglasses as James did Thursday.

What I do know is if the Los Angeles Clippers have any shot at signing James, and they will be making their official presentation to him in Cleveland on Friday, they need to essentially hand him the keys to the franchise. Clippers president Andy Roeser needs to literally hand James, and his representatives, keys with Clippers logos on them as if they were keys to a Ferrari that simply needs new rims. Roeser should give them each paintbrushes, put a blank canvas before them, and tell them to forget about the past and that the Clippers can be whatever LeBron and Co. want them to be.

If the Clippers have any chance of pulling off one of the greatest upsets in sports history, they must play to James' inner need to be a mogul and tell him he can have the reins of an NBA team. Forget about being a key piece or the final piece or the missing piece -- tell him he's the centerpiece and allow him to pick every other piece around him.

While the Nets had folders during their meeting with James' face integrated into their logo, the Clippers should hand James some construction paper and a box of markers and ask him to draw his own logo for the Clippers. Shoot, tell him he can rename the team if he wants. What do the Clippers have to lose? It's not as if they have any banners hanging up at Staples Center that would look outdated if they changed their name and logo tomorrow.

Many fans have long wanted the Clippers to undergo a much needed face-lift and re-branding, and essentially handing over such responsibilities to James and his team of advisors could give the Clippers an edge on other teams thought of as favorites to sign James. None of the other teams meeting with him would ever think of asking a player to re-brand the franchise in his image, but the Clippers could and should do exactly that.

Other teams can sell James on becoming a part of a winning team, but the Clippers can sell James not only on winning (it can be argued the Clippers' roster is currently better than any other team in the running for James) but also on making an everlasting mark on a franchise that will live on long after he retires. As badly as James wants to win championships, he wants to build his brand and his portfolio just as badly. The same goes for his team of friends -- Randy Mims, Maverick Carter and Richard Paul -- who make up the initials behind LRMR Marketing, the management firm he founded almost four years ago with his buddies.

When the Clippers' brass walks into Suite 823 of the IMG Building in downtown Cleveland, home to LRMR Marketing, where James' meetings are being held, they must sell the RMR portion of the firm as hard as they do the L portion. If James can be considered the Vincent Chase of this “Entourage”-like foursome, the Clippers must essentially offer E an executive producer role, Drama a major on-screen part and Turtle a talent-coordinator position to make this work. They need to sell James' friends as hard on coming to Los Angeles as James himself, because when the Clippers leave, his friends will be the ones continuing the recruiting for them long after they've left.

James wants to be holding a Larry O'Brien trophy over his head at some point in his career, but there's a big part of him that is just as content sitting at the head of a table in a board room or rubbing shoulders with executives. During the past four NBA All-Star weekends, James and Jay-Z have thrown what they call "Two Kings" dinners where they gather some of the biggest names in the NBA and corporate America to break bread and talk about how they're going to take over the world (or something to that effect).

I've never seen James as comfortable as when he was talking to American Express CEO/chairman Ken Chenault and Jay-Z at the dinner.

"We don't want to do endorsement deals anymore," James said. "When I talk to Jay, we always talk about creating relationships and friendships, not endorsement deals where you pay me money and I hold up a product. We don't do that. We all got money in here."

"An endorsement deal is if, Jay, I pay you to show up when I tell you to show up," said James, using Jay-Z, standing next to him, as an example. "OK, so Jay, I'm going to give you this glass and hold it up and smile for me. We don't do that. We do partnerships where I give Jay ideas and he gives me ideas and we sit down and talk about it. It's unbelievable what you can do by just having a conversation."

It may have just been an innocent example over dinner, but it offered some insight into what's important to James. He isn't just looking for a team that can help him win a championship, he's looking for a place where he can forge new partnerships and build his brand, and the Clippers offer him the best location and situation to be a partner and not just a player.

How many other teams would be willing to hand over the keys of a franchise to a 25-year-old and his friends and tell them to have fun?

If the Clippers are willing to do that (and really, what do they have to lose?) they may have a better chance of signing James than anyone thinks.

Lawler hablando de la reunión en su facebook:

Clips make serious pitch to Lebron in Clev today. Have about 2 hrs to Dream the Impossible Dream. The case to be made is clear. I'll think they have a chance until Lebron says otherwise.There'll be only one winner here. Cavs have inside track but, with stakes this big, as long as there's hope, the Clippers Must stay in the game.

Lisa Dillman en su twitter:

Neil on Griffin factor: "That's what I told Bron in the meeting.I don't have to sit here and tell you that u need to bring someone with you"

DVD they showed LeBron wasn't just cliched LA-type stuff. It featured Clips shiny training facility, playing footage of Griffin and BDavis

No surprise guest with Neil and Andy. Would have been nice move to bring along Blake Griffin

Éste último punto me parece interesante. Para ganar puntos en la carrera por su fichaje, la presencia de Griffin en la reunión hubiera sido muy importante.

Lo que está claro es que Olshey y Roeser han salido contentos de la reunión (que no ha sido muy larga, con una presentación sencilla, sin alardes), y que en el fondo tampoco están muy preocupados por el más que seguro no (así lo pienso, porque creo que se larga a los Bulls o se queda en Cleveland) de Lebron, porque confían plenamente en la recuperación total de Griffin.
Imagen

Don Mono

por Don Mono » 03 Jul 2010, 01:00

Si Griffin hubiera podido exhibirse en el curso pasado, quizá Clippers hubiera tenido una oportunidad real, pequeñita pero real, pero en el contexto actual... me da que 0.0.

Cassell

por Cassell » 03 Jul 2010, 01:12

Don Mono escribió:Si Griffin hubiera podido exhibirse en el curso pasado, quizá Clippers hubiera tenido una oportunidad real, pequeñita pero real, pero en el contexto actual... me da que 0.0.

Si Griffin hubiese jugado algunos partidos, habría muchas posibilidades de ficharlo. La base ya está hecha (un quinteto Baron Davis-Gordon-Lebron-Griffin-Kaman sería de los cinco mejores de toda la NBA). Con Griffin sin jugar, las posibilidades se reducen a un 10% (Nets, Heat y Knicks no tienen muchas más). Pero vamos, teniendo alguna opción de ficharlo es de lo más normal que hayan solicitado reunirse con él. Por las declaraciones que he estado viendo, que Lebron haya decidido recibirles ya es un premio.
Imagen

Cassell

Re: Los Ángeles Clippers 2010/11. Esperando

por Cassell » 03 Jul 2010, 15:26

Según la CBS, nos interesa Roger Mason Jr. No sería un mal refuerzo para el banquillo.

Arnovitz y Foster analizando posibles opciones de refuerzos:

With Joe Johnson and Rudy Gay both off the table, it’s an increasingly likely scenario that the Clippers fill out their remaining roster spots with affordable guys who won’t jeopardize the development of the young core or squander the club’s future financial flexibility. While there are many free agents still up for grabs, here are four players who could fit snugly into the Clippers’ plans next season.

Kyle Korver

“It’s just a matter of reading the defense,” Korver said after his strong Game 1 and 2 performances in Utah’s first-round series against Denver. In Game 1, Korver took most of his shots from the top of the floor, but in Game 2, he darted off “They were chasing me in Game 1 on the down screens, but in Game 2 they were sort of cutting over the top, so I just flared toward the corner,” Korver said.

The 6-foot-7 sharpshooter is one of a few players in the league (though one of many on the Jazz) who will not only field a question about x’s and o’s, but build on the conversation. His 62 percent true shooting percentage can be attributed not only to his quick release and good size, but his court vision and intelligence. As we’ve seen with Ray Allen, long-range shooters with Korver’s proficiency aren’t frequently left open on the perimeter. They must work tirelessly for their looks and when those opportunities present themselves, there’s rarely more than a narrow window of daylight through which to get off a shot.

There’s a tendency to assume that spot-up specialists like Korver must be poor defenders. Some — like Steve Novak — are. But some — like Korver — aren’t. Watch him body up on the perimeter against opposing small forwards and you’ll see a strong, physical defender who yields very little and knows how to funnel his assignment to the right spots on the floor. As a help defender, Korver rarely makes a bad tactical decision. The data backs this up. In three straight seasons, the Jazz have not only been a better defensive team with Korver on the floor, but decisively better (3,94, 3.75, 2.49). He also posts solid rebounding numbers and an impressive assist rate for a guy whose primary responsibility is to shoot. While the Clips sculpt Al-Farouq Aminu into their small forward of the future, Korver’s range of attributes — from his ability to space the floor to his basketball IQ — would come in very handy.

Anthony Morrow

There’s an old saying in basketball: If you can shoot, you can play. It wasn’t always clear if Morrow, an undrafted free agent out of Georgia Tech, could hack it in the NBA, but after two years of scorching the nets in Golden State, it’s pretty obvious he belongs.

Just how good of a shooter is Morrow? He’s an elite one. Morrow ranked fifth in the league last season in overall three-point shooting percentage, but first out of those who attempted more than four threes a game at 45.6 percent. In spot-up situations, Morrow was second in the league in points produced per possession at 1.37. Morrow’s true shooting percentage of 59.7 was fifth best among all shooting guards and just a hair behind one of the greatest shooters of all-time in Ray Allen. Pure shooters usually face an adjustment period in the NBA, but at age 24 and just two seasons into his career, Morrow has already vaulted himself into the upper echelon of snipers.

You’d expect Morrow to be awful defensively, but he’s not an absolute sieve. The Warriors were actually worse defensively last season when Morrow was off the court, despite the fact Morrow often played out of position at small forward. At 6-foot-5 with not a heck of a whole lot going for him athletically, Morrow isn’t a very good rebounder either. Still, he was decisively better at pitching in on the glass than both Rasual Butler and Eric Gordon last season in less minutes.

Morrow was truly one of Don Nelson’s guys — a player who could get shots up quick and knock a lot of them down. It’s been rumored that Warriors GM Larry Riley wants more defensive-minded guys on the floor and would be hesitant to match a substantial offer for Morrow. Teams can offer Morrow up to the mid-level exception, and as an restricted free agent the Warriors would have seven days to match that offer.

It’s not difficult to manufacture points when Morrow is on the floor. Run him off screens, plant him on the ball-side for post entries … the possibilities are endless. If you’re working under the assumption that Blake Griffin is a double-team drawing force on the block, there’s far worse basketball strategies than pairing him with one of the game’s purest outside shooters.

Although he’s one-dimensional, Morrow would give the next coach of the Clippers a legitimate offensive weapon to utilize.

Ronnie Brewer

Throughout the playoffs, when Jazz point guard Deron Williams was asked to comment on a heady play by one of his young wings, Wesley Matthews or C.J. Miles, Williams would reference former teammate Ronnie Brewer. For example, when Miles made a brilliant off-ball dive to the hoop during a crucial possession of Game 2, Williams commented, “It was a Ronnie Brewer read … He used to run that baseline.”

Williams was irate when the Jazz dealt the 6-foot-7 Brewer mid-season in a salary dump and you can’t blame him. In an offense that relies on sharp instincts and good decision-making, Brewer was a master. We often discuss how awareness of one’s limitations is such a valuable commodity for an NBA player. Brewer is a prime example. Though he can’t shoot very well from distance, Brewer is one of the strongest finishers in the league at the basket, which is how he’s been able to compile a career Player Efficiency Rating of 15.8 despite that iffy stroke.

As Williams says, Brewer has a knack for being in the right place at the right time on the court. He has an intuitive ability to make smart reads aside and work off the ball. Brewer isn’t a defensive stopper, but he can guard three positions with his length, quicks and intelligence and has improved each season as he’s matured.

In their successful attempt to make Rudy Gay one of the most generously compensated athletes in the world, the Memphis Grizzlies had to let Brewer walk as an unrestricted free agent. Memphis’ loss is the league’s gain. For a team trying to get more creative offensively, the Clippers could use a guy like Brewer with whom Baron Davis would have a field day (as Williams did) finding the speedy guard on basket dives. Although he’d be an unlikely starter in Los Angeles, he could be a valuable first-wing-off-the-bench for the Clippers.
ka

Lou Amundson

Hockey and basketball don’t coincide a whole lot, but something to embrace about hockey is the defined roles players have on the ice. Teams are led by their playmakers and snipers, but after those guys there’s a lot of grinders and enforcers out there — guys to do the dirty work. In fact, hockey teams have whole units dedicated solely to hitting people. Obviously you can’t do that in basketball, but every team needs a guy who can go in and muck up the game a bit.

There’s no doubting Lou Amundson is one of those guys. During the playoffs Amundson stayed in the jersey of opposing star big-men, crashed the offensive boards with reckless abandon, and did his fair share of agitating along the way. To wit, Amundson is most noted for provoking Zach Randolph into punching him in the face. He’s pretty good at that sort of thing.

Amundson isn’t skilled by any means, but he’s a dogged offensive rebounder (fifth among centers in offensive rebounding rate) and a pretty good shotblocker at nearly 2.5 blocks per 40 minutes. Almost all of Amundson’s shot attempts (3.5 a game) come on putback attempts or cuts directly to the hole. If it’s not at the rim, Amundson is probably not shooting it.

Perhaps the best quality about Amundson is that he knows his role, and he’s hungry to fill it every single night. He’ll scrap to the final bell, and often times he’ll swing a game with his hustle plays if the opposing bigs don’t match his energy level. He’s not pretty, but he’s consistent, he’ll come cheap, he’ll work hard every day and push the other guys, and he’ll add a little nastiness to a big man rotation at the 4 or 5 spot.

Curioso detalle que acabo de ver en un periódico de Cleveland:

Olshey, who coached James during summer camps in his senior year in high school...

Más cosas sobre la reunión con Lebron:

Undoubtedly, one of the main reasons the Clippers found themselves in the same room as LeBron James and his management team Friday afternoon in Cleveland had to do with a certain power forward from Oklahoma.

That was enough to get them to Cleveland.

Beyond that?

It's too early to add the words 'miracle worker' to Blake Griffin's resume. Grabbing rebounds in a regular-season NBA game will suffice for now.

But he is the X-factor in the courtship of the coveted free-agent James. Remember when James made his way down the court and ended up in front of the Clippers bench one Saturday night in January at Staples Center? James gave the injured Griffin a man-hug and offered words of encouragement.

Griffin, really, is almost like the free agent who has already been signed. A wingman, in place.

"That's what I told Bron in the meeting," said Clippers' General Manager Neil Olshey in a telephone interview with The Times from Cleveland. "I don't have to sit here and tell you that you need to bring someone with you. Or that we need to go out and get someone else.

"I have the guy."

That would be Griffin.

Olshey had a good line after the meeting at IMG headquarters in Cleveland, passed along by Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, saying: "Now I can absolutely, unequivocally say that Blake Griffin is as good a Robin to his Batman as there is available in the league."

The Clippers' presentation -- from Olshey and team president Andy Roeser -- lasted about an hour and followed a long pitch session from Miami Heat officials, and they teased Pat Riley about going over time.

New Jersey and the Knicks presented on Thursday, and the final two slots, both on Saturday, go to Cleveland and the Bulls.

James asked about the Clippers' coaching situation and was informed of the process. It is down to current Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey and former Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro and is expected to be resolved next week.

The Clippers, with the help of their TV partners at Fox Sports, produced a DVD for James hitting the highlights of Los Angeles. But it went beyond the usual cliched vision of L.A., also showing the Clippers' shiny training facility in Playa Vista and had action footage of Griffin and Baron Davis, among others.

"We felt if we couldn't bring LeBron to L.A., we'd bring L.A. to LeBron," Olshey said.

Tendremos, por lo visto, un partido de pretemporada en México:

Clippers to play pre season game in Mexico City!
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 04 Jul 2010, 12:32

Reunión con los representantes de Mike Miller:

One day after making their pitch to LeBron James in Cleveland, the Los Angeles Clippers had a three-hour meeting with free-agent forward Mike Miller on Saturday afternoon.

No offer was made, according to general manager Neil Olshey, but a "conceptual framework" was discussed and both sides are said to be very interested in each other.

"The meeting with LeBron went really well, but this is like the recruiting period in college," Olshey said. "You don't just recruit one guy. The players are doing the same thing. They understand what's going on. Mike wants to be patient right now too.

"There's going to be a very competitive market for Mike and we're in that market."

Miller averaged 10.9 points a game on 50 percent shooting from the field, including 48 percent from beyond the 3-point arc. He also contributed 3.9 assists a game in 54 games with the Washington Wizards.

Earlier in the week, Miller had initial conversations with the Los Angeles Lakers, but because of salary cap restrictions, they could not reach Miller's asking price.

Miller is seeking a multiyear contract above the mid-level exception valued at $5.8 million a year for up to five seasons.

Más sobre la reunión con Lebron:

The Clippers kept their pitch to LeBron James simple and to the point, displaying a rare air of confidence for a franchise so often regarded as Los Angeles' other NBA team.

When the Clippers met with James on Friday afternoon in Cleveland, they told him they didn't need to wow him with celebrity chefs or videos of all the hotspots in Los Angeles. Because while they may not have a championship history, they believe they have the best team, the best resources and the best chance to win of any of the six teams currently running in the stakes to land the two-time league MVP.

"It was our goal to present tangible and very obvious reasons as to why we think LeBron choosing our organization is his best option," Clippers general manager Neil Olshey said in a statement. "We clearly have the best team already in place for him to join, we have the best city, the best arena, the best practice facility -- overall the best situation."

LeBron James will meet with at least six teams, but the Clippers feel they have the best of everything to offer him.
In contrast to the three other clubs who'd met with James over the past two days, the Clippers' pitch meeting was the shortest and least involved. Only Olshey and team president Andy Roeser made the trip. The team has not yet hired a coach to replace interim coach Kim Hughes, though sources indicated the team will move on that front over the weekend, or by early next week at the latest. The team interviewed Dallas assistant Dwane Casey and former Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro earlier this week.

Owner Donald Sterling stayed home, sources indicated, because the Clippers wanted to keep the focus of their pitch on basketball, what they believe is their strongest attribute in this race.

The Clippers said they thought bringing a small contingent was bold and confident. Olshey told James that unlike his other suitors, he didn't need to recruit another superstar because he already had one in last year's No. 1 overall pick, Blake Griffin.

Roeser even went so far as to tell ESPN's Shelley Smith that if Plan A is landing LeBron, Plan B is "going back and asking him to reconsider."

David Carter, executive director of the Sports Business Institute at USC's Marshall School of Business, said that merely pursuing James as aggressively as the Clippers have is an important signal to the team's fans.

"Even though it is a longshot, the Clippers are signaling to their fans that they are engaged," Carter said. "Should they sign him, LeBron will prove to be a trophy in his own right, as his signing would be an endorsement of Clippers basketball.

"The credibility he would bring would instantaneously allow the franchise to generate millions more in revenue, quite literally overnight. This would also allow the team to gain some serious traction in a star-driven market where teams that lack superstar players or coaches struggle for attention."

While most consider the Clippers to be a longshot to land James, the team itself has never let on that it sees itself in that light.

Olshey has said he believes James will make a "basketball decision" in the end, but admitted after Friday's meeting it was hard to get a read on how well the Clippers message was received.

"If this basketball thing doesn't work out, he'll be great on the World Poker Tour because he's playing cards pretty close to his vest," Olshey told Smith. "LeBron's an incredibly bright guy, he knows exactly what he wants. He's going to take the information and be receptive and then he and [agent] Leon [Rose] and Mav (longtime friend Maverick Carter) will get together as a team, then LeBron will make his decision."

The Los Angeles Clippers' pitch to LeBron James on Friday was simple, by design, not because of a lack of imagination.

Clippers general manager Neil Olshey has known James since the player was a junior in high school, working with him at various camps on the AAU circuit before he jumped to the NBA.

That personal history shaped the team's pitch to James on Friday as Olshey and team president Andy Roeser sought to convince James that choosing to sign with the Clippers was the best basketball decision he could make.

"At the end of the day, all these bells and whistles are great, but these guys are basketball players," Olshey said Saturday, after he'd returned to Los Angeles feeling good about the presentation the club had made to James.

"LeBron is a really smart guy. He's savvy. And he wants to win. All these elite free agents this year are like that. They want to know where they can win basketball games and that's why from Day 1 we've been selling our roster."

Olshey said he told James the Clippers had decided to make a simple pitch, not try to wow him with celebrities or promises of rich endorsement deals.

"We wanted to be the opposite of that," Olshey said. "It's like the Wizard of Oz, you know, where you just don't want to look behind the curtain. Well, in our case, we want him to look behind the curtain at our roster.

"I told LeBron, 'When doors close for practice, who do you want to play basketball with? Do you want to play with Baron Davis, an All-Star point guard, Chris Kaman, an All-Star center, Eric Gordon, one of the best young shooting guards in the league, and Blake Griffin, who we feel can be a transcendent player at the four-spot? At the end of the day this is about the roster behind the curtain. It's a basketball decision.'"

While Olshey sold the basketball side of the Clippers' pitch, Roeser talked financials, explaining the financial commitment Clippers owner Donald Sterling has made to the club in the last decade.

Specifically, Roeser told James that Sterling has spent $320 million in free-agent contracts since James entered the league and spent over $50 million building the team's new state-of-the-art practice facility.

"Look, these guys can live anywhere they want in the offseason," Olshey said. "They can pursue any business venture they want. As great as Los Angeles is, we don't have to sell that. They already know what's here. They already know all the best restaurants and clubs here.

"We wanted to sell our roster, which we think is the most competitive roster he can join."

Arnovitz hablando del tema entrenador:

The Clippers are unlikely to name a head coach before Tuesday, sources close to the situation said on Saturday. The team met with Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey and former Chicago Bulls head coach Vinny Del Negro on Monday and Tuesday, respectively.

A decision was initially expected this weekend, once general manager Neil Olshey and team president Andy Roeser returned from their meeting with LeBron James in Cleveland. But a lack of consensus in the Clippers camp might require another visit from the two candidates next week.

Casey was thought to be the initial favorite, but a strong performance by Del Negro in the interview process tightened the horse race. According to sources, Del Negro surprised the Clippers with the blueprint he presented to management, specifically his level of organization and his plans for player development. Casey, who has long been on the Clippers' radar, delivered precisely what the brass expected from a sharp, serious tactician. Despite his best efforts, Casey's firm grasp of the game and his strong schematic vision for the Clippers weren't enough to separate him from Del Negro.

The proceedings bear an eerie resemblance to what transpired in Chicago two years ago, when Casey and Del Negro were the two finalists for the Bulls' vacancy. Casey came into the interview process with a lifetime of coaching experience, working with luminaries such as Pete Newell and serving on some of the most respected staffs in the league. By most accounts, he led Del Negro down the stretch -- until the former Suns' broadcaster and front-office executive captivated decision-makers in Chicago with his presence during the final stage of interviews.

For Casey, the process must be excruciating. He has been a finalist for a number of openings over the past few years and earns nearly unanimous praise around the league for both his manner and acumen. If not for a late intervention by one segment of Atlanta's ownership, he'd likely be the head coach in Atlanta today. Three weeks later, he must continue a sales job with a Clippers organization increasingly intrigued with Del Negro.
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 04 Jul 2010, 16:45

Saturday was a busy day in Playa Vista. Sofo Schortsanitis was at the facility in the morning working out, then Mike Miller paid a three-hour visit. Prototypically, Miller is precisely what the Clippers are looking for — a floor-spacing shooter who won’t kill them on the boards. He’s a guy who can assume the starting slot at the 3 while Al-Farouq Aminu develops, then move to bench as the Clips’ gunslinger at 32.

Here’s the problem: The market has gone insane. In a world where Rudy Gay is a max player, where Amir Johnson can score a 5-year/$34 million deal and Darko Milicic is valued at 4 years and $20 million, a guy like Miller can command a big number — larger than the Clippers are comfortable committing to a middle-age SF whose skills are likely to fall off during the back-end of his deal.

Will Sofo play for the Clippers this season? That all depends on what kind of cash the Clippers have left after the free agency season. They could slot him into the frontcourt rotation if the price is right, but probably aren’t prepared to allocate significant resources before they take care of more pressing needs on the wing.

Kyle Korver also fits the description of what the Clippers want on the wing, and sources say that the team will be reaching out to Korver’s camps in the coming days. Anthony Morrow is a less likely target because the maximum he can be offered under the Gilbert Arenas rule is a no greater than the mid-level exception. Morrow also falls into the “2 disguised as a 3″ pattern the Clippers are looking to end. A quick glimpse at the Warriors’ unit grid from 2009-10 shows that the Warriors were effective with Morrow at the 2, but abysmal when he played the 3.

What about Josh Childress? Unfortunately, he’s not a proficient shooter (low-30s from the shorter, international 3-point line). The Clippers are tired of teams sagging defensively on them. Baron Davis is statistically the worst high-volume, long-distance shooter in the game. Blake Griffin and Chris Kaman aren’t stretchy beyond 17-feet. That leaves Eric Gordon as the only threat from long range on the floor with that lineup. Childress is a smart, dogged defender and a nice energy guy, but he’s also a hot commodity right now who’s probably going to be overcompensated. The Clips don’t want to spend that kind of money on a player who doesn’t address their top need on the wing.

The Clippers won’t land LeBron James and they’ve received a steady stream of ridicule about being “honored” by the invitation to meet with James and the brevity of the one-hour meeting. But the Clippers’ confab with James wasn’t about 2010 — it was about 2013. Few on earth have an inkling what James will decide over the next few days, but there’s a reasonable possibility that he opts for a 3-year deal with Cleveland. If that scenario prevails, this public spectacle will play out again in 2013.

What if three years from now Blake Griffin is a rebounding, defending Amare Stoudemire, Eric Gordon boasts a true shooting percentage of 60 percent and the Clippers have progressed from a punch line to a viable young squad? With Baron Davis and Chris Kaman will be off the books, what if the Clippers are one of a select group of teams with room for two max players? If Friday’s meeting did nothing more than plant that seed, then it was worth a day’s commute by the brass from Los Angeles to Cleveland.
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 06 Jul 2010, 12:00

Pincus analizando las posibilidades del equipo en el mercado de agentes libres. Interesante el que Miller haya rechazado ya una oferta de los vecinos:

The Los Angeles Clippers, like the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, Miami HEAT, Chicago Bulls and New Jersey Nets, sit and wait for LeBron James to make a decision about his future.

After a meeting on Friday with James, General Manager Neil Olshey released a statement that "it went very well."

"It was our goal to present tangible and very obvious reasons as to why we think LeBron choosing our organization is his best option," continued Olshey. "We clearly have the best team already in place for him to join, we have the best city, the best arena, the best practice facility - overall the best situation."

Of course much of that is subjective. Neil can make that case and perhaps James will agree.

Equally LeBron may decide Cleveland, New York, Miami, Chicago or New York is a better situation.

He's expected to choose at some point this week.

If James does become a Clipper, the team would boast a starting lineup of Baron Davis, Eric Gordon, James, Blake Griffin and Chris Kaman - with Al-Farouq Aminu, Eric Bledsoe, DeAndre Jordan and unsigned second-round pick Willie Warren off the bench.

To fill the remaining four to six spots on the roster, L.A. would only have minimum contracts to offer. Olshey will probably have little trouble attracting quality veterans with James on the roster.

If LeBron ends up elsewhere, the Clippers still have a strong team - albeit without the same level of star power. L.A. is hopeful that Griffin steps into that role in his belated rookie season after a knee injury kept him out last year.

The coaching search continues with what looks like a two-man battle between Dwane Casey and Vinny Del Negro. Casey has more experience as an assistant and a brief run as head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves as they began their rebuilding effort (still ongoing).

Casey is well-regarded as a stable, hard-working assistant who deserves another crack in charge.

Del Negro has a difficult time in Chicago with a lack of organizational support but still brought his team to back-to-back playoff appearances including a stunning seven-game series two years ago against the Boston Celtics.

While Vinny didn't get a playoff series victory, he may have gotten a bad rap with the Bulls.

It's possible a dark horse joins the race but the next Clipper coach probably comes from the small pool of two candidates.

Assuming the cap comes in at about $56 million dollars (to be announced on approximately July 7th), the team will have $16.7 million to spend.

Despite the drafting of Aminu, who the Clippers see as a three, the team could use a veteran starter at the position. The team could use a combination of shooting, passing and rebounding at small forward.

One obvious option is Mike Miller who the team has spoken to already. Miller, like the Clippers, is waiting out the big name free agents for the market to settle down.

Miller is career 40.5% three-point shooter. He's averaged over six boards a game the last three years with almost four assists.

The price for Mike isn't clear but he allegedly rebuffed a Mid-Level Exception offer from the Los Angeles Lakers. If Miller does end up a Clipper, that might take up almost half of L.A.'s spending power (for budgeting, let's estimate a $7 million starting salary).

The Clippers drafted Greek center Sofoklis "Sofo" Schortsanitis back in 2003. After a productive career overseas, this may be the best opportunity for the team to bring over the 6'10" forward/center.

Sofo was a second-round pick (43), so there's no structured salary in place were he a first-rounder. Coming up with a price for Sofoklis will take some negotiation given his opportunities abroad.

A high ceiling wouldfor price would be Nikola Pekovic (originally from Montenegro) who is reportedly getting $13 million over three years to join the Minnesota Timberwolves. Estimate Sofo gets less than half that at about $1.5 million in the first year.

A tandem of Kaman, Griffin, Jordan and Sofo could rival any four-man tandem of big men.

If LeBron signs up, the Clippers aren't likely to have the money for Sofo barring a trade to open up space.

Pencil in $7 million for Miller and $1.5 million for Sofo and the Clippers have another $8.2 million to work with. The team would probably need an inexpensive point guard to back up Davis and Bledsoe in case of injury.

The remaining hole would probably be a backup shooting guard/small forward. While Miller is certainly capable of playing in the backcourt and the Clippers are curious to see what they can get out of Warren - not to mention a potential Baron/Bledsoe backcourt throughout games - perhaps the team will consider returning Rasual Butler in a bench role.

Rasual was a dedicated Clipper and while he didn't have a great shooting year, he might be a good move towards continuity.

Other possible returnees might include Travis Outlaw, Craig Smith and/or Steve Novak. Timing and budget become the issue as the Clippers can only afford so much with their cap room. Before a player signs they take up a certain amount of that space with a "cap hold."

To get far enough below the cap to sign players like Mike Miller or Sofo, the team will need to renounce the rights to more than one of their own free agents.

If Miller does not work out, Kyle Korver has a slightly similar skill set in that he's a lights out shooter (53.6% from three last season!) but doesn't rebound or pass nearly as well as Mike. Then again, the price may be cheaper.

Other free agent options might include Anthony Morrow of the Golden State Warriors, another sharp-shooter (46.0% over his two season) - although he's restricted. Ray Allen might be worth a call, although he may return to the Boston Celtics. Some additional names: Ryan Gomes, Ronnie Brewer, Matt Barnes, Richard Jefferson, Tracy McGrady, Josh Howard and Raja Bell.

If free agency in general doesn't pan out for L.A. or if the opportunity arises, cap room can be used in trade to acquire players. The team can opt not to go under the cap at all, keep some of their free agents and use the Mid-Level Exception (which they wouldn't have if under).

The Chicago Bulls would likely move Luol Deng in an effort to open up additional cap space. Given that L.A. just drafted a similar-style player in Aminu, that might not be as appealing to the Clippers as it would have been a few weeks ago.

Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons would be an excellent short-term fit in terms of a passer, scorer and defender.

If star power becomes available like Danny Granger or Andre Iguodala, the Clippers could use the upgrade although neither appears to be likely any time soon.

Hedo Turkoglu would be an intriguing get.

Clearly the Clippers have a number of avenues to consider - be it landing LeBron, Miller, a quality free agent or an unbalance trade.

Expect decisions to be made over the course of the next week or so.

Nuevas entrevistas con Casey y Del Negro a lo largo del día:

Time for Round 2 of the interviews ...

The Clippers are bringing in finalists Dwane Casey and Vinny Del Negro Tuesday for another series of interviews for their coaching vacancy, a team official told The Times.

Previously, the thought had been to have them in on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. But the process is being condensed into one day.

Casey, an assistant coach with the Mavericks, had been considered the front-runner by a wide margin. But Del Negro, former head coach of the Bulls, closed the gap with a strong presentation when he was in Los Angeles for his first interview.
Imagen

carmelomvp

por carmelomvp » 06 Jul 2010, 14:42

Casell, ¿no crees que no tener técnico a estas alturas os perjudica seriamente de cara a adquirir un FA? Para mi es un punto clave en la decisión de cualquier jugador...
Imagen
Vlog NCAA Fullbasket: https://www.youtube.com/user/bastiangperez

Cassell

por Cassell » 06 Jul 2010, 15:16

La idea inicial era fichar a un FA estelar, y que éste aconsejara a la gerencia en la búsqueda del entrenador. A mi también me parece eso un error, ya que quizá el tener el entrenador atado podría ser más beneficioso que perjudicial. También hay otro aspecto que influye negativamente en la posibilidad de traer a grandes agentes libres: que Griffin no haya jugado la pasada temporada. De haber jugado por lo menos después del All Star (unos 20/30 partidos), la franquicia ahora mismo estaría en la pelea por fichar a Lebron. La posibilidad de jugar en Los Ángeles es muy tentadora, y el proyecto clipper, sobre el papel, es de lo mejorcito que hay (compartiría quinteto con dos All Star y con otros dos jugadores que no creo que tarden en serlo).

De todos modos, que no vengan FA de relumbrón tampoco supone una tragedia, porque se confía, y mucho, en Griffin. Y si logramos ver al Griffin que asombró en los partidos de la pretemporada, yo creo que los Clippers pueden estar luchando por meterse en play off, sobre todo si van llegando los refuerzos que se están barajando estos días (Mike Miller, Roger Mason Jr., etc.).
Imagen

Cassell

por Cassell » 06 Jul 2010, 22:43

Artículo en clipsnation acerca del interés por Miller:

By now you are probably aware that the Clippers had a three hour meeting with Mike Miller over the weekend. (Why they needed three hours to talk to Mike Miller, but only spent an hour with LeBron James is a different question.) You may also be aware that Miller, while a very good player (former rookie of the year and former sixth man of the year), has become strangely reluctant to shoot in the past couple of seasons.

Let's put this reluctance into some context. Citizen Jax found this article by Steve Aschbrunner in Sports Illustrated from the middle of Miller's first year in Minnesota, the first year that he just stopped shooting. After he was traded to Washington last June, the trend continued. He took 8.4 field goal attempts per 36 minutes in Minnesota; 8.6 field goal attempts per 36 minutes in Washington. This compares to 12.1 FGA per 36 his sixth man award year, and 13.3 the next season when he averaged 18.5 points per game in Memphis.

I think it's even more illustrative to put his field goal attempts in context of other players. On a Minnesota team that lost leading (only?) scorer Al Jefferson 50 games into the season, Miller was 12th on the team in shots per 36, behind Sebastian Telfair, Sheldon Williams and Corey Brewer. Miller, a 40% career three point shooter, was eighth on the team in 3 point attempts per 36, behind the likes of Telfair once again. Yikes.

In Washington, on a team that desperately needed offense after losing Gilbert Arenas to suspension, Miller was 18th on the team in shots per 36 (there was obviously a lot of roster turnover in Washington last season). Among the players who shot more than him were Shaun Livingston and James Singleton, to put it into perspective for Clippers fans.

Let's go a step further in the Clipper comparison. In his last two seasons in LA, Quinton Ross took 8 shots per 36 minutes. That's a half a shot per 36 fewer than Miller has averaged the last two seasons. The thing is, Ross is one of the worst shooters in the NBA, while Miller is one of the best.

So what's going on? Has Miller lost his touch? Lost his confidence? Lost his mind?

Well, he hasn't lost his touch. Last season in Washington, he made over 50% of his field goals overall, and a career high 48% from three. His effective field goal percentage was an astounding 59.6% and his true shooting percentage an equally astounding 62.3%. He might have lost his confidence, but he certainly has no reason to have, given those numbers. So maybe he's just lost his mind.

There is a school of thought that says that it's not a problem that he doesn't shoot. He's an efficient scorer, and it's a good thing if he's passing up bad shots. Unfortunately, given the teams he was on, it seems fairly obvious that he was passing up better shots than his team ended up with on their possession.

Leaguewide, teams shoot over 80 times per game, or to put it into per 36 stats, about 61 times per 36 minutes. There are five players on a team, so if they all shared those shots equally, that would be a little over 12 shots per 36 minutes per player. Miller took 8.4 per 36 in Minnesota, 8.6 per 36 in Washington, leaving lots of extra field goal attempts for Corey Brewer, Randy Foye (both years), Sebastian Telfair, Andray Blatche, Al Thornton and others. Minnesota was 24th in the league in offensive efficiency in 08-09; Washington was 25th in 09-10. Meanwhile, Miller was third in both true shooting percentage and effective field goal percentage in the NBA last season, and first among non-centers. So, the most efficient perimeter scorer in the league, playing on one of the least efficient offensive teams in the league, took far fewer than his share of shots. That's not a winning formula.

Is he making up for the fewer shots in other areas? Well, not enough. His assists have been up about one per game over the last two seasons, which is nice, but doesn't make up for the two plus field goals he's no longer making himself. He's always been a good rebounder from the small forward, and has been better the past two seasons. Then again, most of that increase is coming on the defensive glass, so there's really no reason he can't be a better rebounder AND continue to shoot. His turnovers per 36 are actually a little up over the past two seasons, which makes sense - if you just catch the ball and shoot it, it's impossible to turn it over.

Of course, we don't know what his coaches in Minnesota and Washington were asking him to do. Maybe he was given a role and he was fulfilling it. In the Aschbrunner article, then T-Wolves coach Kevin McHale was not critical of Miller, in fact praising him for being a facilitator.

The psychology of playing for not just bad but seemingly star-crossed teams might have to be taken into consideration as well. In 05-06 when Miller was sixth man of the year, the Grizzlies won 49 games. The next season, they started the season with Pau Gasol hurt and went straight into the tank. The next season, they traded Gasol to the Lakers. The next season, he was traded to the T-Wolves in full rebuild mode, and Al Jefferson got hurt. The next season, he was traded to Washington, where the Arenas gun incident immediately derailed the season. Of course, signing with the Clippers might not be the best way to try to end a streak of four years of bad luck.

It is worth noting that, on paper, Miller would not have to take a lot of shots for the Clippers. Chris Kaman took 16.6 shots per 36 last season, Baron Davis 14.5, Eric Gordon 12.7 and presumably Blake Griffin would be getting more than his share as well. You could argue that both Kaman and Baron could stand to take fewer shots, while Gordon probably needs more, but the fact is that if Miller were the starting small forward on that team, you'd expect him to be shooting less than the others. But he has to take open shots in order to spread the floor for Kaman and Griffin. He can't just pass shots up.

And maybe that's what the three hour meeting was all about. Maybe Neil Olshey was asking him what the deal was, and telling him how he needed to play to be effective for the LAC.

Miller recently turned 30, and is looking for something in the range of the mid level exception or more. According to J.A. Adande, he's getting plenty of attention and he'd like to play for a contender, which the Clippers without LeBron James certainly are not (yet). It's therefore likely that he'd want a premium over the MLE to play for the Clippers. Reports had the Lakers offering Miller 5/$30M, which is just a little less than the MLE. That reported offer may have been bogus, but if it's true, one would assume that it would take a lot more to get Miller, since he's not a Laker today.

The Clippers have over $16M in a non-Bron scenario. Would $7M next season for the right starting small foward be too much? $8M? Maybe not. The length of the contract would be the bigger concern for the 30 year old Miller. The Clippers have six players under the age of 21, and they're not going to reach their peak for some years. It doesn't make any sense to have significant money tied up in a mid-30s player just as Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon and others are coming into their own.

I've always liked Mike Miller as a player, though I certanily don't understand what he's been doing the past two seasons. I think he'd be a good fit for the Clippers for the near term - but I'd be concerned with signing him over the long term. In the end, the point is probably moot, as he no doubt wants to play for a contender for the first time in his career, and it looks like he'll get his chance somewhere.
Imagen